Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! Here I hope to share some of the things that come from my head to my hand to paper, and the stories behind it all.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kilmainham Gaol, 2008: Evolution of a Drawing


In the summer of 2008, I made a trip to Dublin, Ireland in search of my Irish roots.  My Nan, my grandma on my dad's side, always told me we had Irish in us.  She was from Wigan, England, as is the rest of my family on this side, and no one else agreed with her.  I journeyed around Dublin for a week, searching through pages of old death, birth and wedding certificates but found nothing.

When I headed to Wigan to meet up with my family, my cousin Kathleen helped me search in the local ancestry library there.  Joyously, we found them!  My great, great, great grandparents came to England at the age of 17 and married in Manchester Cathedral!

Anyway, while in Ireland, I did some touring.  I visited Kilmainham Gaol for one, and was fascinated by the history and the feeling of the place.  This is my first piece from what I hope to be a small series of drawings of the gaol. I love the way a drawing comes alive in its various stages, so chose to show that here.





No comments:

Post a Comment