Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! Here I hope to share some of the things that come from my head to my hand to paper, and the stories behind it all.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Submitting to Gallery Shows

As I was considering offering my work for commissions, I also started submitting to gallery shows.  Wow, scary.  Kind of like it must feel the first time a singer hits a stage for an audience.  What if I stink and my fellow artists mock me?  What if we weren't really "fellows" and I was just a hack, and they were the artists?  Well, I had to just do it.  No other way to know if I fit in other than to try and fit in.  So I put work in Arts Benicia's Art of a Community show in January, 2010.  The piece didn't sell, but I didn't audibly hear anyone laughing.  There it was, my piece, on a wall, in a gallery.  Wow. 

I drew an ocean-themed picture I just loved that Dennis's daughter Trista took in Hawaii.  I love Spanish, so titled it "Tortuga."



I wanted the turtle to look like it was coming out of the page.  This started a technique I am still using often, where the subject escapes its borders

My next piece is "Pelicano" drawn from a great picture my sister Barb took. It was on the wall at a show called H20 at Sebastopol Center for the Arts in July of 2010.  No one bought it, but there I was again, this time at a juried show where no one knew me, on a wall, like real art.



I drew two other pieces for this show, but they were not accepted.


Ola Caida

Leones del Mar

I will have these two pieces in the upcoming Art of a Community show, January-February 2011 at Arts Benicia.  I still really love them.  I wanna be where that wave is! The bubbles are Trista's again. The palm trees are from a photo I took on the big island in Hawaii, and my sister inspired the sea lion section.

This past year, I also had two pieces in the "Bees at the Bee" show in Sacramento.


Hover

Close-Up

Then this fall, in November and December, I had a couple of pieces in my second juried show, "small works", at Arts Benicia.


El Buho Con Ojos de Color

El Gato en la Ciudad


The cat came from a photo my cousin Jocelyn took when on a trip to Greece.  Thanks, Jocelyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment